Sunday afternoon my husband and I were headed back to Sierra Vista from Palominas after picking up Alex. We saw smoke on the rear side of the Huachuca Mountains. I posted what I saw on my Facebook page and it wasn’t long before the news traveled. Today, Wednesday, the news is horrifying. The fire is only at 10% containment with high winds forecasted throughout the week. Yesterday the fire reached epic levels. Rumors have surged as to the level of residential devastation ranging from 25 homes to somewhere in the 60s.
I have been watching this event like a hawk. The outpouring of community support has been nothing short of inspiring. Watching the news online this morning, I got a lump in my throat as I watched an interview with a man I knew talking about the loss of his home in Ash Canyon. Having been in his home, some time ago, I can only imagine the feelings of loss he and his family is experiencing.
Businesses around town have rallied. Free boarding for livestock has been established and offered to those ordered to evacuate. Donation sites popped up all over town to help fill the voids of those who have lost their homes. Support for the firefighters has been equally met. With a town filled with panic, there’s a calming support being offered by all of the citizens of our small community.
The pictures all over the internet covering the smoke, flames, and structures are nothing short of gut wrenching. In the nearly 20 years I’ve lived here, I’ve never seen fire of this magnitude. In 2003 a fire swept the mountain range. However, it never threatened homes. Due to the extreme dryness here, the fire is roaming freely. It’s so sad to see our beautiful mountains engulfed in flames covering now more than a quarter of the range. Smoke is billowing and flowing east over the Hereford and Palominas valley areas.
Today new canyons are being evacuated. Yesterday’s losses were unpredictable. The local officials are claiming they are more prepared for such unpredictability. We’ll see if that’s in fact the case. Looking out my back window the smoke has changed colors several times. Gray smoke has turned black and then back to gray. I’m not an expert in fires by any stretch of the imagination, but black smoke I believe indicates fuel. I hope it’s just clusters of trees as it delves into the canyon and not homes that are tucked away beautifully into picturesque Miller Canyon.
There’s not much that can be done right now. I feel completely helpless. I’ve offered my assistance to those I know who get evacuated. But, I have to admit, I wish there was something more I could do than just drop off a case of water or a gift card to Wal-Mart.
Knowing the containment is so low three days into this fire doesn’t give me much hope. I fear the powers charging this fire are short on equipment and expertise. The terrain of the Huachucas is very difficult to access. Having driven all roads of our mountains, I know it is nearly impossible to maneuver large fire rigs on those dirt roads to gain leverage on the fire.
This past month and a half, Arizona has been struck with such intense fires. The Wallow Fire in Northern Arizona has now reached historical records, becoming the largest fire in Arizona history. The Wallow Fire has been burning since May 29 and has now burned 478,452 acres. Currently it is only 20% contained. The Horseshoe Fire II is at 60% containment and as of 1:26 this morning it has burned 184,198 acres. That fire isn’t far east of Sierra Vista and has swallowed homes and structures in towns near Portal, AZ. This is the fire that has been contributing to New Mexico’s air quality. Just in Southern Arizona, we’ve seen several fires that have covered our city in heavy brown smoke for days. It’s so sad.
If you’re a prayer...pray for rain. We don’t have any hint of rain in the time we need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment