The Joy of Family
With Christmas this weekend, I’m reminded just how intensely fast this year has gone. Again.
It seems like it was only a few weeks ago my brothers and sister were here and we were soaking up each other’s company to the fullest! I find myself missing them a lot more because of that wonderful holiday last year. The differences in my house are further reminders of just how quick the year has been.
Last year, I was pregnant wishing things would go faster. Isabelle was anxious to grow up a little bit more and spend time with friends. This year, we have a nearly 9 month old little guy and presents already under the tree for him! Isabelle got one of her gifts a smidge early, only because we were all excited to give it to her. She got an XBox and it’s fun to watch her play!
Alex has already opened up a couple presents as well from friends who couldn’t be here for Christmas. He’s loving the toys. Watching him play makes me that much more excited to give him the presents Josh and I have picked out for him. He’s a great age. Focused and determined to engage in all things that capture his attention for the few moments he’s interested.
He’s waving these days and it’s hilarious. I’m fairly certain most of it is just learning how to move those limbs with a little more intent. But when he mimics us, it’s just plain fun. He’s still not walking, but he’s getting more and more confident in standing without help. I’ve said for a while, if he’s not walking by Christmas, he’ll be walking soon after that. He continues to validate my prediction every day.
We are currently working on a science project for Isabelle. This year, as she’s explained, she’s a lot more prepared and knows exactly what she wants to do. We start the actual experiment on Thursday and she’s becoming slightly anal about the details. Like a typical girl, she’s more focused on the presentation and artsy part of the project as opposed to the gathering of data and taking notes. Truthfully, she just creates any excuse she can to use my Mac. I’m a little selfish with it.
This past weekend, Josh took the kids to San Diego to visit extended family. It was a great trip for them. I wasn’t able to go, due to prior commitments and lack of room in the car. It was sort of nice to have a house 100% to myself for a couple days. It was weird, but good. They were able to get some great pictures with the grandmas and grandpas. Now we’re coping with getting back into the swing of being home again. It’s incredible how a couple days of unfamiliar territory can completely off-set the routines that took weeks to achieve.
But I digress. He adored being doted on and spoiled for a couple of days. He didn’t have to do an ounce of self entertaining or soothing and that’s really one of the greatest parts of visiting family. The grandkids get spoiled. I love it!
I’m pretty blessed with my little family. Alex is a constant marvel and Isabelle is growing up to be this incredible little lady. It all comes with amazing fun with unpredictable twists and joys.
I’ve been asked a couple times lately when we’re going to have another little person...Right now, things are so perfect, I’m afraid we’d screw it up!
No comments:
Post a Comment